My pregnancy hormones have had me craving spicy food lately, which is extremely rare for me because normally even mild salsa is too much for me. Nevertheless I’ve been enjoying some spicier foods these days. If you’re interested in trying out a new recipe with some extra kick (still probably mild for those of you who can tolerate super spicy food) here you go! This was my favorite recipe from our past week of cooking.
(photo by: africanbites.com)
- 2-4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 large bell peppers, chopped (I used 2 red and 2 green)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup low sodium hot sauce (I chose to omit this for fear of it being too spicy)
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage, chopped (I used mild instead of spicy)
- 1/2-1 whole head of cauliflower, finely diced/riced (dependent on size of cauliflower)
- 1 lb. large raw shrimp
Add the chicken through the hot sauce into the crockpot. Set on LOW heat setting for 6 hours.
When there is 30 minutes left to cook add the sausage, cauliflower, and shrimp.
(I just threw it all into the crockpot all together and it tasted great!)