Brandon and I have started doing Taco Tuesday night dinners in our house and we love it! Every week we change things up: chicken, fish, beef, pork. We constantly mix it up. This past week we did fish and I found this recipe on Pinterest.
After traveling all last week we felt like we ate so much more bread than we usually do so I decided to ditch the tortillas this week and try out a bowl instead. Such a great decision too, because it was amazing! So yummy that I have to share with all of you!!
Check it out:
(I made a few substitutions you’ll see below)
(photo by: pinchofyum.com)
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- juice of 2 limes
- ½ cup sour cream, Greek yogurt, or mayo (I used this mayo: click here to see)
- 3-4 cups shredded purple and green cabbage
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb. cod or other white fish (I used cod, it’s easy to cut before cooked)
- ½ cup flour (I used almond flour)
- 2 teaspoons EACH cumin and chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (this is what makes it spicy so adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon EACH butter and olive oil (I used ghee: click here to see)
- avocado, pepitas, cotija cheese, lime wedges, or other extras for serving
- SLAW: Pulse the slaw ingredients (in order, starting with oil and ending with lime juice) until chopped/chunky. Add the sour cream and pulse again until just combined (you don’t want it totally smooth green – just like an herb-loaded creamy sauce). Toss the sauce with the cabbage. Let it sit in the fridge while you prep the other ingredients.
- QUINOA: Prepare the quinoa according to package directions.
- FISH: Pat the cod dry with paper towels and cut into bite-sized pieces. Combine the flour, spices, and salt in a shallow dish. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Dredge each piece of fish in the flour and add to the hot pan, frying for a few minutes on each side. When the fish is golden brown, remove from pan and sprinkle with the salt.
- SERVING: Plate each dish with a scoop of quinoa, a few pieces of fish, a scoop of cilantro lime slaw, and avocado or any other extra toppings you like. Serve with lime wedges and additional salt as needed.